New York City has an unfortunate history of tearing down its monuments. The most infamous example is the old Penn Station, which was demolished and replaced by the ghastly Madison Square Garden between 1963 and 1969. Another is the New York Tribune Building.
Built in 1875 for what was then America’s most popular Republican newspaper, the tower originally had nine floors. Nine more and a clocktower were added between 1903 and 1905, making the New York Tribune Building possibly the first’s first skyscraper.
It was flanked by the offices of New York’s two other bestselling newspapers: Joseph Pulitzer’s New York World on one side and The New York Times on the other.
Not only is the Times the only newspaper that survived; its then-headquarters on 41 Park Row is the only one of the three buildings still standing.
The Tribune merged with the more sensationalist New York Herald to form the New York Herald Tribune in 1924, which continued publication until 1966. Its building was torn down that very year to make room for 1 Pace Plaza — another affront to good taste.
To learn more about the New York Tribune Building, you can this story from (ironically) The New York Times.