Re: The Peril of Power 1: "But Through a Glass, Darkly"

MRFATS

The work had been slow, difficult. Fortunately, Walter had finally finished, and he put the tools away. His inventions were locked away, chemical bottles secured. Wiping sweat from his brow,he strolled onto the deck.

The air was still, and calm. He gazed out onto the water, the cool,cold light of the pale moon illuminating the deck. Sighing, he removed a pipe from his pocket, packed it. Lighting it, he pulled slowly, exhaling steadily and enjoying the smoke.

FLEET ADMIRAL JD

Tuskegee stood on the balcony of his stateroom aboard the Peril. He looked out at the dark, moonlight clouds and water. It was about three in the morning—he had just awoken from his sleep after enjoying some time with his wife. He stared out at the water, wondering if somewhere down there was another captain’s ship, another ship that had been lost because her captain wasn’t good enough.
   No. No, you can’t think that way anymore. You were outnumbered, outgunned, outmanned. It was an impossible situation. So his wife had told him many times, so had many of his superiors. Nevertheless, their words couldn’t make the scar on his heart go away. He had been in charge. He was responsible for the lives of the three hundred sailors who had died. He should have found a way to survive, but he couldn’t.
   Stop drowning yourself in melancholy. That part of your life is over.
   He began to reflect on his new life—he was living for himself. He had plenty of money left over from a family inheritance. He had a beautiful, loving wife who he could be with much of the time now. He even had a place that he could sort of call home—the Peril. Tusk scratched at the stubble on his face and let himself enjoy a small smile. He heard steps on the balcony behind him, and a soft voice called out through the night’s gentle air.
   “Tus?” called his wife softly. He turned quickly, taking in her beauty with a glance; she wore a linen nightshirt, slightly transparent, with nothing underneath. What did it matter—no one else could see them out here. He wrapped his arms around her waist as she drew close to him. “Tus, there is something I must say.”
   “Anything, dear. There are no secrets between us.”
   “I saw you looking at the ocean. I know that look. I know you were thinking of your loss.”
   “Yes.”
   “But, my love, these past few months on the Peril—I have not seen you as happy as you are in years. It’s just very. . . very nice to have you back.” A smile crossed her face, and a tear appeared above her left cheek. Tuskegee reached and brushed it gently away.
   “It is very nice to be back.”

KISKO

Isaac collapsed into his bunk. It was the worst kept of the crew, but he certainly didn't care. On the wall dozens of newspaper clippings were pasted; all pertaining to that wretched island. His eyes zeroed in on one in which a "Faked" photo was debunked, a photo of a Velociraptor. At least, that's what the time traveler had called the thing. To Isaac all it seemed to be was claws. Claws that tear, claws that kill. A hidden memory of Victoria fluttered to the surface of Isaac's mind, causing him to sink his fingers deep within the mattress. She had to come along. He had told her to stay home, but she wanted adventure. And perhaps the spirit of wonder was the last thing Isaac appreciated, even after what it did. Averting his eyes from the monster, he slowly dozed off.

MRFATS

Walter grew tired, grew weary of staring at that water. Presently he decided to retire to his quarters. It had been some time since he had gotten rest...not that he needed that much anymore. Laying down, he remembered the laboratory he had left behind, in care of his staff whilst he was away. He thought of that man....that face, dark, menacing in his thoughts. Invading them like a virus. He turned his head and passed into a dormant state, in an attempt to forget that man for now...

OTTENS, JULY 18, 2007

As the rest of their group had left, Miss Murray had quietly taken the time to observe the Major, asking herself whether she could trust this man.  She was attracted to him---how could she objectively judge his character?

She took a sip of her drink, but instantly remembered that she hadn't cared much for alcohol tonight.  "Major, I believe that I owe you an explanation as to our group's purposes and intents,"  she started to tell.  "Our captain tells me that you were on the run for Russian authourities as you boarded our ship, and from what I've learned it appears that you are in Our Majesty's Government's employ."

Roger nodded slightly to indicate his approval so far.

"Indeed,"  Mina continued,  "we appear to have certain professional associations in common."  She paused briefly, allowing the man to nod again.  "Surely, you are, by now, quite aware of my own own past with the organisation of which we speak?"

"You are still highly regarded in the service, madam."

"I'm glad to hear that..."  a pleasant smile appeared on her lips, and she reconsidered for a brief moment before speaking further:  "My reasons for leaving the service are mainly personal, but suffice to say that I felt increasingly uncomfortable continuing the work I had begun.  The work we do, Major... the work we did... was not always inspired by noble intentions.  In spite of Mr Holmes' best intentions, and his love for his nation, the service has become a tool for carrying out the Government's dirty work."  She spoke the last line quickly and with an unpleasant look on her face.  "I wished no further to share responsibility for those actions, sir, and that is why, after many long years of service, I resigned my commission."

Roger must have suspected that there had been other reasons for her resignation, but he understood that she wouldn't elaborate upon them.

"Over time, I encountered the people you've come to know here on board.  We all seek refugee from a past filled with sin.  I dare not say that our actions are always admirable, that our intentions are always righteous, and we seek protection for ourselves in the first place.  Yet we also seek to do justice.  There are evils in this world that strike the heart with terror, Major, and thankfully there are forces able to combat that evil.  I have come to know both in my lifetime, and I seek to assemble the latter around me."

When no response came from the Major, who seemed to carefully weigh the words she had spoken, Mina said:  "Our next stop will be Berlin.  I will meet there an acquintance of mine whom had telegraphed information about a foe threatening the peace.  I wouldn't ask you to make a decision now in regarding to staying with us... something I would ask you to seriously consider... perhaps what this man has to tell will convince you of our group's necessity and our goals..."

MRFATS

Walter wandered about the ship, having finished several small books, various repairs to inventions and the engine of the Peril.

Brushing off his coat, he stood upon the deck, a gentle breeze wafted by. Thoughtfully, he turned round, he had now realized. He did not know where our destination was, and went to inquire with Miss Murray.

HAC

Quote from: Ottens on July 18, 2007, 04:29:49 AM
When no response came from the Major, who seemed to carefully weigh the words she had spoken, Mina said:  "Our next stop will be Berlin.  I will meet there an acquintance of mine whom had telegraphed information about a foe threatening the peace.  I wouldn't ask you to make a decision now in regarding to staying with us... something I would ask you to seriously consider... perhaps what this man has to tell will convince you of our group's necessity and our goals..."

Smythe put down his glass and spoke. As he did, all traces of the eccentric upper-class gentleman dissapeared, and his voice was the calm, cool voice of one confident in himself and his abilities. His face had  changed as well, the vapid , slightly distatesful look gone in a flash, replaced by a calm, watchful visage.
  "Madam, in what you offer, I could ask for no less. You are correct in your assumptions, I am an agent  for MI5. Your words have truth in them, Holme's is increasdingly stymied by the Government, and his resources are more often truned to their own political ends, that business in Edinburgh, of late, that effort to subvert the millworkers unions, that was not a worthy endeavour. My latest mission was the pursuit of one who would see our world in the flames of war, and not only
for the glory of his masters, whom I fear, he will betray to his own ends."
   He paused, massaged his eyes, and continued.
"I will tell you that I too, believe that evil must be fought, and it was that ethic I sought to uphold in joining MI5, although
to be honest, my first motive for enrolling was revenge, but that is another issue."
   Roger took another sip of his drink.
" I will bide with you until Berlin, and I will listen carefully you your evidence, and then I will decide. If I join you, I will join wholeheartedly, for though trained in the arts of deceit and deception, I am an honest man. If we part company, I trust we will do so on good terms, and rest assured, the existance of your group will remain hidden from my masters. That is all I can offer, save for my hand"

MRFATS

Walter Bennet approached, knocking on the always open door, excusing himself "Pardon, Miss Murray, Major Smythe. I could not help but overhear..."

Smythe looked deeply at Walter, his gaze attempted to penetrate his being, in an effort to understand the motive for his comment. "Just what have you heard, Mr. Bennet?"

Walter stared back analyzing every minute movement Smythe took, every breath, twitch. "Simply that we are en route to Berlin, Sir. I wished to simply confirm that."

Miss Murray glanced at Walter "Just how much did he truly hear?" she thought. "Yes, Mr. Bennet, it is true. We shall be arriving soon enough."

Walter smiled at Miss Murray, tipping his hat to the two. "Thank you, ma'am. Now if you will excuse me, I am off to go speak with Professor Goddard." Walter exits the room, walking toward the library, curious if the Professor were there.

KISKO

Isaac couldn't sleep. He wondered if Murray had noticed the chilling similarity of Elizabeth and his beloved, but then came to the realization that Mina had most likely forgot about Victoria. The ill-fated expidition came after Isaac had left the the agency, and since the day when both him and Murray left together they hadn't spoken. He got up, planning to perhaps wander the engine rooms until the soothing thrums relaxed him. But before he cracked open the cabin door, he heard Smythe talking from the other side. He hadn't made much of smith, but now it seemed there was much more to the man. Pressing one ear to the wood, he listened.

COL. ADRIANNA HAZARD

BERLIN -

Just outside Spandau, another person was listening. The tall, lean figure of a female stood beneath a tree which had recently lost its leaves. The autumn wind blew the crunchy brown foliage around her legs, which were concealed to the knees by a long wool coat. Against the dark backdrop of the woolen garment, her golden hair stood out in the most incredible fashion. It was a good two feet long, and left down - stray strands being picked up by the breeze.

A passerby might assume her to be one of the young suffragettes, rebelling against traditional views of women - a viewpoint that had come over from Britain. She did look young in body, but her eyes revealed an age that could not be guessed at. Nobody knew the history of the woman, nobody knew what she did, where she disappeared to, or if she associated with anybody. Although she left a striking impression, she was easily forgotten, and did not cause a stir.

On this blustery fall day the woman was watching the government foundries, listening to the men and machines work. Supply trucks came in from the mines each day with a fresh stock of raw materials. Something was brewing - it was hard to detect, like a blemish under the surface of the sociopolitical climate, but it would come to a head in the near future - of that she was sure.

Casting her gaze up to the tumultuous skies, she awaited the airship that might bring information.