Re: Steampunk Accessories

cutest pair of spats EVER

Too bad something like that is wasted on me, I'd just wreck them sad

Greetings all,
     Yet another all-too-infrequent (regretfully) post from me.  Still no internet in my house and am forced to constantly seek out wifi, even in this snowstorm!  LOL.  At any rate, I am taking steps to remedy the situation soon and hope to have LOTS of goodies posted up for all.
     I've been "tinkering" again lateley, and the first part of such is research.  I have an original 1870's edition of "Cyclopaedic Science Simplified" by Pepper, and am taking notes on things such as steam power, electric from steam, chemical, electrostatic, and galvanic batteries, in the plans of applying these to a few pistol props that have "Theoretical" functionality.
     I have often wondered, after viewing various creations online (regretfully finances and my summer job keep me away from Cons), whether or not functionality and feasibility play a part in these creations.  Before I put something together, I research the h..l out of it to make sure the technology behind it "could" work.  For instance. . . .
     I have been doing a few blueprints, on parchment in pen and ink, of a proposed prop that I have been considering.  It's a backpack consisting of 3 tanks.  The main tank is "Filled" with vinegar, and in the chamber the vinegar is "electrolyzed" to yield oxygen and hydrogen.  The oxygen feeds to an "airship mask" to provide some fresh oxygen at high altitudes (But not underwater), and the hydrogen is fed to pistols, providing a "controlled hydrogen explosion" to propel the projectiles instead of gunpowder.  I recently found an old tootsietoy gatling gun that I plan to re-mod on this principle too.  Could it work? Possibly - but although the pistols "fire caps" and the valves turn and such, functionality is only implied.  This "works" on the principle known as "electrolysis of water into hydrogen and oxygen".
     I have come across Herr Docktor's blog, and I noticed that he created a pistol that "works" by admixing H20 and H2S04 to yield chemical steam.  Does this admixture actually yield steam?  I have neither in my lab at the moment to test this.  And as to steam, can we therefore read "steam" to include other such products of a steam nature, such as hydrogen gas?  It fills our airships, so it can serve other needs as well.  Would I, knowing what I know now, actually strap a tank of hydrogen on my back?  Heck no.  But in theory, it could work.
     I am looking into other such technologies for generating airship gas.  Hydrogen seems to be the standard in our time periods, replacing Montgolfier's hot air.  I want to look into the work of Thaddaeus Lowe during the Civil War - his balloon Intrepid I believe was filled with helium?  At any rate, I figure too that in order for tanks of oxygen and hydrogen to be "delivered" they would have to be pressurized, and here an electrical piston would pressurize the system.  Steam would require a flame to fire a boiler, and flame and hydrogen equals tragedy. 
     Can anyone recommend a source or two for mechanical and scientific information as it would pertain to steampunk and dieselpunk creations?  Would there be interest in such a source, either online or by actual publication?  Just random thoughts from my little corner of the world.
Sincerely,
Lord Mordred

is it a watch? is it a compass? it's awesome I say, awesome!

the awesome goggles/manifying device of Ichabod Crane

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5wx44biMm1rvvnwto1_1280.jpg

steampunk Phantom of the Opera mask

The seamstress' bracer

I approve smile

Art Nouveau jewelry

steampunk boots for the ladies